SNAP 2020 - NORVENICH AIR BASE
Significance of National Air Power 2020
SNAP (Significance of National Air Power) 2020 exercise is a German Air Force (Luftwaffe) exercise regularly carried out and is used to practice the evacuation of German citizens, those under protection or soldiers from crisis and war zones in a combined air operation.
This exercise took place at Norvenich air base at the 8th (rehearsel) and 9th of September (actual exercise).
Different types of missions where assigned during this exercise.
Going from low and medium altitude interceptions, airfield attacks, needed evacuations with air and ground protection and/or rescue missions.....
For the 2020 exercise Norvenich Air Base was the host. A lot of activity at this air base in 2020.
A few weeks earlier Israeli Air force was invited for Blue Wings 2020. (see also this website)
In below pictures you will find most of the aircraft participating in this exercise.
- Eurofighter EF2000GS / 30+96 * 30+97 * 31+32 * 31+33 * 31+47 / TLG 31 / Boelcke-Nörvenich
- Panavia Tornado IDS / 46+10 / TLG 33 / Büchel
- Airbus A400M-180 / 54+33 / LTG 62 / Wunstorf
- Transall C-160D / 50+40 / LTG 63 / Hohn
note : This aircraft is already operational within the Luftwaffe since 1967! Phase-out for the Transall is set for September 2021...
- Sikorsky/VFW CH-53GS / 84+42 / HSG 64 / Laupheim & Rheine-Bentlage
- Eurocopter H145M / 76+15 / HSG 64 / Laupheim
- Airbus A310-304 'Kurt Schumacher' / 10+23 / 1FBS / Köln-Bonn